The Special Measures Client Fund offers many groups that face barriers to participation the opportunity to experience a reciprocal exchange.
Groups are expected to pay as much as possible of their special measures’ costs through their own fundraising. Often, groups can only raise enough to cover their local travel and activities.
Generally, the following measures may be eligible for funding:
1) Extra Group Leaders: for younger groups and groups that need more support. Each request is considered on its own merits.
2) Common Stay Including Breakfast (Alternative Housing Arrangements):
If possible, explore billeting first because it allows participants to develop a stronger understanding and friendship with their twin. It also ensures a higher degree of supervision. If billeting is not possible, requests for common stays are evaluated to see if hosting is a barrier.
Common Stay Resource: here are some key questions and considerations when planning and booking a common stay, including special considerations for camps.
Common Stay Checklist: here is a checklist to keep track of the state of the common stay at arrival and check-out, in case anything should happen.
3) Modified Vehicles for Participants
4) Interpreters, Guides and Special Assistants
5) Age Exceptions: for youth a bit older or younger than 12-17 years old. Under no circumstances will 10-year-old participants be approved.
What is not funded:
Meals while travelling
Requests must be submitted and approved prior to tickets being purchased. Please speak to your Regional Coordinator to discuss your group's individual needs and for the appropriate documents to apply for these funds.
Unapproved expenses during the exchange will not be covered unless there is an emergency or a situation that compromises participants' safety.